Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Title: Sweet Venom
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Genre: YA Fantasy - Mythology - Paranormal
"Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight." ~See it on Goodreads
---------------------------------------- 

I'm so glad I picked up Sweet Venom! I'm a huge history/mythology geek so I was really excited to read this one! And it was everything I was expecting it to be!

The three main characters in this book are Grace, Gretchen and Greer; they’re actually triplets which I thought was cool in itself lol. They all have very different personalities; Grace is super smart, a bit clumsy, and kind of insecure with herself and what people think of her. But she’s also a really sweet, kind hearted and loyal person. Gretchen is definitely a tough kick a** chick, she knows all kinds of martial arts and won’t take crap from anybody. She’s a little guarded because of her past but also has a sweet and caring side underneath all that toughness. Greer is the epitome of a prissy rich girl lol. And at first it seems like you might not like her much but as the story goes on you see that she’s actually a very kind person and has a lot of depth to her. 

The book alternates between all three girls POV’s and that may sound confusing because if it isn’t done well having multiple POV’s can make the story seem choppy and it won’t flow as smoothly. But it actually wasn’t an issue at all in this book, the author did a great job of making each girls voice so distinctive that it was easy to remember which girls POV I was reading from. And as far as the Greek mythology element goes, I think it was executed and researched very well. The author explains every event and the history behind them really well so for people that have never read anything pertaining to Greek mythology it’s all still easy to understand and you won’t get lost while reading it.

There was a lot of action in the story that kept me rapidly turning the pages to see what would happen next. And I also adored the humor throughout the book, it earned me quite a few weird looks because I honestly couldn’t keep myself from having several outbursts of laughter haha.

I did wish that I had gotten to know more about some of the secondary characters like Grace’s brother Thane and his friend Milo, and the mysterious Nick. But seeing as this is the first book in the series I’m hoping we’ll learn more about them in the next installments. And I just have to add, that ending was such a huge freaking cliff hanger!! My reaction was similar to this:


(shout out to the Supernatural fans out there!)

So needless to say I can’t wait to get my hands on that second book! haha. Overall I really loved this book and I highly recommend it, especially if you’re a mythology fan!

4.5 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. Oh nice review! Love the Supernatural bit!

    I have this in my TBR mountain, newly acquired from my trip at RT! So hopefully one of these days I will get to reading it!

    Once again, lovely review! Excited about this one now and have high hopes for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)