Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Title: Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Genre: YA - Fantasy
"Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.
When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned." ~See it on Goodreads
-------------------------------------------- 

I’ve been wanting to read some fun summer books just to mix things up a bit with my normal reading, so Forgive My Fins was a perfect choice. I had a few nitpicks here and there but overall I really enjoyed this book, it was fun, cute and a quick read for me. 

I’ve always liked mermaids; they’re one of my favorite mythical creatures so I was interested to see how they’d be portrayed in this book. I liked how the author took the mermaid lore and made it unique for the story, and the underwater world of Thalassinia that she created sounded like such a magical place and I was captured by it. 

I absolutely adored Quince; he was hands down my favorite character and stole my heart from the beginning. He’s a snarky biker guy, with a sweet/intelligent side. Totally. Love. Him! However, I wasn’t quite so fond of Lily. I mean she was okay in general but at times she just came off as spoiled and immature, and the fact that she was so infatuated with Brody just really annoyed me, especially since she had the amazing-ness that is Quince right in front of her! I hope she’ll grow and mature a bit more in the next book. 

Another nitpick I had was the fact that the plot was kind of predictable in some areas, I would have liked if it had been a little more surprising. Also, the whole fishy lingo thing got a bit old after I was about halfway through the book lol, and that may not bother other people but for me it was a bit... tiresome. Those things aside I still enjoyed this book and it kept my attention well enough to finish it in only a few hours lol. 

If you like mermaids or just want a quick, light, and fun read, then Forgive My Fins might just be something for you. I’ll be getting the next book soon, and I’ll be reading more of Tera Lynn Childs work as well! 

3.5 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. I reviewed this one on my blog last month. It's a cute, light read, and I LOVED it! I haven't picked up the rest of the series yet, but I'll do that soon. Love your review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)