Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: 13 to Life by Shannon Delany

Title: 13 to Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Genre: YA - Paranormal
"Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing. Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.
It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid." ~See it on Goodreads
--------------------------------------------------

I’d been meaning to read 13 to Life for so long, I kept seeing people mention it and it seemed like I was one of the few that hadn’t read it yet lol. I finally got around to it though and for the most part I liked it.

The writing itself was well done and I loved the foreshadowing in the beginning, it built up the curiosity a bit and kept me wondering. But the twists in the plot towards the end kind of lost me, I can’t really go into detail because it would give away spoilers and if there’s anyone who hasn’t read it I’d hate to ruin it for them. But I’ll just say that it came off a bit… unbelievable I guess, bordering on cheesy. But that may just be my opinion. *shrugs*

As for the characters, I loved Pietr. He was really likeable, genuinely sweet, kind, and protective, and not to mention swoon worthy lol. Jessie was a really likable character and I liked the fact that she didn’t give in and pull the tragedy card even though she easily could have and at times it seemed that was what people expected her to do, I think that showed her strength as a person. Although I do have to say I didn’t get the whole martyr thing, especially since the person she kept sacrificing for was a royal b*tch. Sarah, (the afore mentioned b*tch) Is one character I didn’t like in the books, she pretends to be all innocent but you can tell there’s evil lurking under the surface with her and I personally can’t wait to see her get what’s coming to her.

Overall I enjoyed the book, it was a quick read and kept me interested until the end and there were some good action parts in it. I’ve actually just started reading the second book, although, I’m still not totally sure how well I like the plot twist but I’m hoping it’ll play out well and still be engaging. This one was average for me, not outstanding, but not bad either.

3 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. Your review is the first I've read of this one. If I like the characters, I'm more likely to enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)