Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Photobucket Title: Delirium 
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA - Dystopian 


"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love." ~Goodreads


----------------------------------------------

I’d had Delirium on my shelf for the longest time and finally got around to reading it, and man am I glad I did!

In the world that Ms. Oliver created everyone believes that “Love” or “Amor Deliria Nervosa” as they call it is a disease, and scientists have found a cure for it. Everyone gets this cure at the age of 18 (in most cases) boys and girls are also kept as separated as possible until they are able to be cured so that there isn’t any risk of them falling in love. The government is extremely controlling and ultimately you’re future is up to them. This story had such a realness to it which made it seem like this could actually be something that happened to our world in the future. Which if you think about it, it’s actually pretty creepy.

The whole story was full of rich and beautiful details and I was immersed in it completely. I loved the characters, Lena is an awesome heroine and I was really able to identify and connect with her. She wasn’t perfect and she experiences real emotions which made her real, and you get to see her grow as the story progresses. And Alex, sigh.. I have to admit I fell in love with his character, he’s brave but he has secrets but once I got to know more about his character it was a done deal lol. I also liked Hana, Lena’s best friend. She’s got some spunk to her and likes to challenge the rules.

As for the romance in the book, it was gorgeous and touching. I adore Lena and Alex as a couple; they’re such a good fit together. I was really glad that it wasn’t an intsa-romance; the author took her time and wrote it so that it built up at a good pace, definitely perfection.

Overall I was totally captivated by this story, I can easily see where the hype for this book came from and why everyone raved about it in reviews, it was brilliant. And to put it simply, I loved this book! Can’t wait to get my hands on more of Ms. Oliver’s work!

4.5 Stars!


“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.” 
~Delirium

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad at the continued accolades for Delirium. I have it on my Nook but have yet to read it, so I know that I should definitely get to it soon. I'm also glad that it's not an "insta-love" novel. I definitely enjoy the slow and steady romances vs. the love-at-first sight plots. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you must read it soon! lol. I'm definitely glad I finally got around to it!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the review, thanks for stopping by! :)

    <3
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)