Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

Title: Greta and the Goblin King
Author: Chloe Jacobs
Genre: YA - Fantasy
"While trying to save her brother from a witch’s fire four years ago, Greta was thrown in herself, falling through a portal to Mylena, a dangerous world where humans are the enemy and every ogre, ghoul, and goblin has a dark side that comes out with the eclipse.

To survive, Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young goblin king, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her will to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. An ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal, and with the next eclipse mere days away, every bloodthirsty creature in the realm is after her—including Isaac. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back..." See it on Goodreads
------------------------------------------- 

Well I definitely had high expectations for Greta and the Goblin King, after reading the blurb and falling in love with the cover (which is totally gorgeous!) there was just no getting around that really lol. I was so excited to finally get my hands on it after waiting for so long, and I’m happy to report that I wasn’t disappointed in the least!

To put it simply, I loved it. The world building was fantastic, Mylena was such an interesting place and I’m hoping we get to learn even more about the history of it in the next book. The descriptions and scenes were very well done and I was able to picture everything so easily. This book definitely stands apart from a lot of the YA books I’ve read recently, and I also loved that this book wasn’t written in first person. It’s more common to see things written in first person, but I think writing it in third person was much more fitting for this book and it was just really refreshing to read.

I pretty much adored the whole cast of characters in this book, but I really loved Greta! She’s right up there with some of my most favorite heroines from my favorite books. She’s determined, strong, compassionate, and loyal. She has a stubborn streak, but at the same time she’s relatable and vulnerable at times and that’s what makes her human. I really liked Isaac as well, and I loved the banter between him and Greta, it was definitely amusing and kept me entertained.

I did have a few nitpicks, mainly in the romance department. Yes, I love a good romance but far as the romance goes in this book, there were times where I wasn’t completely sold on it. As I said I really liked Isaac and while there was obvious chemistry between him and Greta, it was a little confusing how the growing attraction came to be. It’s no secret that Greta pretty much can’t stand him in the beginning of the story, but then her feelings seem to change all of a sudden but there wasn’t really much of a transition between those feelings. That said I do like Isaac and Greta together, and I’m interested to see how their relationship progresses in the next book. I do hope that the whole possible “love triangle” thing just goes away as the series continues because I really didn’t see the point of that at all.

I couldn't put this one down once I’d started it, and it killed me when I absolutely had to put it down to do crazy things like work and eat *shakes head*. Greta and the Goblin King was magical, action filled, and fun, it was definitely worth the read and I don’t know how I’m gonna be able to wait for the next book to come out!

4 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. Great review!! I have yet to read this one but have bought it already! So hard choosing my reads these days because I want to read everything in my TBR piles! (Yes, piles!) ;)

    We really need some mad scientist or someone to work on a "pause" button for the world, so we can pause time, read as much as we want and then press play again! Would definitely end the TBR pile problem!

    Once again, fabulous review!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)