Saturday, June 9, 2012

Review: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Leviathan
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA - Steampunk - Sci-Fi
"Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever." ~See it on Goodreads!
--------------------------------------------- 

When I first came across Leviathan I was intrigued, I've read some of Scott Westerfeld’s other work and easily became a fan. So naturally I was crossing my fingers that’d I’d like this one as well, and even though it took me awhile to get the book I’m so glad I did because I really loved it! 

This book is something that I think would appeal to a wide range of readers, guys and girls alike. Because it’s not a “girly” book but then at the same time it’s not super “boyish”, if that makes sense. Westerfeld did an absolutely amazing job with the world building in this book! I’m a big history nerd so the bases on WWI was appreciated, and combine that with the Steampunk element (which I’m developing an obsession with by the way lol) and you have something really unique and awesome and I totally fell in love with it. I also really liked the illustrations that were scattered throughout the book, it gave it that little extra something and made everything come alive even more.

The characters were flipping awesome! I loved Alek, he is such a courageous and kind hearted boy and you can’t help liking him. He’s still growing and maturing and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him in the next book. I absolutely adored Deryn! She’s one of the best heroines I’ve come across in awhile, she’s strong, brave and very independent. She also has such spirit/spunk to her and not to mention her humor; which really cracked me up at times haha. She’s definitely a character that I will always love and won’t be forgotten!

Leviathan is most definitely a fast paced, action packed adventure, it starts off with a bang and doesn't lose that momentum through the entire book. I was completely captivated and couldn’t put it down. If you love Steampunk or action/adventure, I highly recommend that you read this book!

I've already got the next book ready and waiting to be read! 

5 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! This is one of my all-time FAVORITE series and I'm raving about it all the time! :D I'm so glad that you loved Leviathan and I know you're going to like Behemoth and Goliath even more, because the series just gets better and better as you read on ;)

    ~Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm so glad I read this finally, I seriously loved it! I'll be starting Behemoth after I finish a few others, can't wait! :)

      And thanks for dropping by! :D

      <3
      Taylor

      Delete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)