Saturday, June 25, 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)


Author: Julie Kagawa


Genre: YA Fantasy


Publication Date: February 1st, 2010


"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. 
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. 
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 


But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart." ~Goodreads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say novels based on Faeries have always been my favorites, I’ve read tons of them and many have made it onto my favorites list. So naturally with this book being about Faeries I was intrigued, when I discovered that there were Shakespearean characters mixed in I was hooked.

Meghan was a character that I enjoyed, she had her flaws, strengths, and weaknesses but those were all things that made her seem real. She was loyal and brave, and also a little stubborn. I found that these kinds of traits made her seem like someone you could actually meet in real life and not one of those characters that seem too perfect to be real, and I really liked that.

As for Prince Ash, well, I have to admit that I was quite taken with him as soon as he made his first appearance in the book. To put it simply he’s just lovely :)
I had seen in reviews/heard from a few people that it seemed like the feelings between Prince Ash and Meghan were a little rushed, and I can see where they’re coming from because in some places they were. But it really didn’t bother me too much in this book because there’s still room for an actual romance to possibly develop at a natural pace throughout the rest of the series. Which is something I hope to see happen.

Ms. Kagawa did a splendid job with the writing of this novel; you can tell that she took a lot of time and care with all of the details. The descriptions were exquisite and gave the novel so much depth, I felt like I was right in the middle of it all. The emotions were intense, and there was the element of action that kept you on your toes. I absolutely loved this book, it was wonderfully magical and from the beginning of this book all the way to the end I was completely enchanted.

It’s easy to say this is a new top favorite series of mine and I’m already eagerly continuing on with it!

4.5 Stars!



1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too! I can't wait to get to the rest of the series! We read this in my book club so stop by the discussions if you want to read about what others thought.
    Angie
    http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/71950?group_id=3551

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)