Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: "Older" Books You Don't Want People to Forget About



Top Ten Tuesday is an original weekly event hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

 
Okay so, I really dropped the ball on this meme. I started out and just plain forgot about it, but I think it's such a fun one and I really want to keep up with it from now on! And I know this is late in the day to be posting it but hey, better late then never right?? lol. Anyways, here we go:
This week's topic:
 
Top Ten "Older" Books You Don't Want People to Forget About:
 
1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. It's no secret I'm a HUGE fan of this series, I grew up right along with the characters while I was reading it. It will forever be a favorite and have a special place in my memories. Not to mention it WILL be required reading in my house when I have children one day lol.
 
2. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I read this book for the first time when I was 11 years old and I have never forgotten it. I adored Anne, she was such a fun spunky character. This is one book that's been read many more times over the years. Also, the movies are just as great.
 
3. War For the Oaks by Emma Bull. I adore any and all things faerie, it's a pretty serious obsession I have going here lol. But this is one of my favorite lesser known faerie novels, and in my opinion it's amazing!
 
4. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I loved this book as a kid and even now it's still one I'll never get tired of reading, and will definitely be on the list of bedtime stories for my future munchkins.
 
5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This book is just absolutely BRILLIANT. Period. If you haven't read it, you simply must.
 
6. Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I love, love, love, this book! And I'm a major fan of Neil Gaiman!
 
7. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I'm a sucker for classics and romance. A good friend recommended this book to me a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. It easily became a favorite and will definitely be one I re-read many times.

8. The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon. This series is a favorite hidden gem for me, I had never heard of it until I happened upon it in the library one day. I don't really hear much about this series and I think it could definitely stand to get more notice. The writing is gorgous and lyrical, and overall just a wonderfully crafted story.

9. Graceling by Kristin Cashore. This is another book that I don't think has gotten enough recognition, there just seem to be so many people who haven't read it. But it is SO beyond worth reading! Especially if you love fantasy and a kickass heroine.

10. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. This is and forever will be one of my absolute favorite books. I don't think people will forget about it any time soon, but I still think it deserves a mention :)

Happy reading lovelies!

 

9 comments:

  1. Anne of Green Gables. Siiiiigh. My favorite was Rilla of Ingleside. Poor Walter made me cry every time. Great list!

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Fahrenheit 451 is on mine as well:
    http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/top-ten-tuesday-older-books-not-to-forget-october-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! :) I'll be sure to return the favor

      Delete
  3. What a great list. So many of my favorites here and so many I forgot to put on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to check out your list :)

      Delete
  4. I just added War for the Oaks to my tbr pile because it was on another list! That's the first time I heard of that book today and now it was picked twice! So weird!

    No on will ever forget the Harry Potter series. There is no danger of that ever going away. Those books will stand the test of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! War for the Oaks doesn't seem to be talked about much at all but I really loved it. Now I may be a tiny bit biased because it's about faeries lol, but I still think it's good.

      And yeah, Harry Potter will be forever remembered I'm sure but I can't seem to help mentioning it all the time on meme questions/lists lol.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)