Sunday, April 29, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules (Blood Of Eden #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: YA - Paranormal
In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked-and given the ultimate choice. Die, or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what-and who-is worth dying for. ~See it on Goodreads
First off I just have to say that Julie Kagawa is easily one of my favorite authors ever. I really loved The Immortal Rules but I think as of right now her Iron Fey series is still a bit higher on the  super-fantastic  scale for me. But seeing as this is only the first book in the series that could possibly change, I guess we shall have to wait and see :p

The world building in this book was fantastic as usual for Ms. Kagawa, I was captured from the start and with every page I was drawn further into the story. I really liked Allie, except for the few times when I was kind of wished I could give her a good shake lol. Her human and vampire sides both seemed to have their own unique voice and identity, she’s strong, intelligent, and loyal. And you really see her start to grow throughout the story, which I always love to see in a character. I definitely loved Kanin very much, but I was kind of bummed that he disappeared from the main storyline for so much of the story, I mean I know he was still a part of it and mentioned here and there but, it just kind of went from him being a pivotal character in the beginning to fading away into the background. But as long as we see more of him in the next book I’ll be happy lol. For the most part I liked Zeke, but sometimes I felt like he paled in comparison to Allie’s character, there were times when I felt a connection to him but then there were also times when I didn’t. So it was kind of fifty-fifty, I’m hoping the connection with him will be more consistent in the next installment.

I liked the romance element that was in this story; however I really hope it doesn’t end up developing into a love triangle later on in the series. I mean sometimes I don’t mind them but for this series I’d prefer there not be one. If it keeps going the way it is now I think we’ll be safe from that but you never know, so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed about that.

The action was definitely not lacking in this book, it was engaging and kept me glued to the pages all the way to the end. And speaking of the end, can you say absolutely-freaking-huge-cliffhanger?!?! I’m seriously sad that it’ll be so long before the second book is out!!

My few nitpicks aside, I really loved The Immortal Rules. Ms. Kagawa brought a fresh and unique take to the whole Vampire scene; I haven’t read another Vampire series like this so I’m really glad to have a new series by one of my favorite authors that I can dive into!

4 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. You are totally right Ms. Kagawa truly gave the vampire genre a fresh kick start with this masterpiece.....Great Review...

    Check my review of the immortal rules here

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)