Tuesday, April 17, 2012

ARC Review: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Title: The Hunt
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publication Date: May 8th, 2012
Genre: YA - Dystopian - Paranormal 

"Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?" ~Goodreads

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Hunt was full of action from the very beginning and I was immediately drawn into the story. The plot takes so many interesting twists and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Vampires are one of my favorite paranormal creatures to read about and the ones in this book aren’t some kind of watered down and sparkling version. These are the kind of vampires that fuel nightmare and the kind that I’d be scared out of my wits to meet in a dark alley, or anywhere for that matter! Lol.

The imagery and detail was phenomenal; I could picture everything so easily in my mind that it seemed like I was there instead of just reading about it. The characters were great! A lot of the books I read have a strong, kick ass female protagonist in them. And while I love that, it’s a nice to see a good male protagonist take the lead for a change. I also really loved Gene’s narration and the way all of the characters connected with each other. 

I did have a nitpick about the story, I really wish there had been some kind of back story to explain what happened to the world to make it this way? There’s really nothing to go on so it’s hard to tell if it’s a futuristic dystopian version of the same world we live in, or if it’s something completely different that he author came up with specifically for this story. I’m hoping that in the next book we’ll get answers to that because I’m curious to know. But I was still able to overlook that issue because the storyline and characters were so engaging. 

I know people have said this is like The Hunger Games, and there may be a few similar elements to it but I think that the author created a fresh and original story. The Hunt took me on quite the ride and there were even a few times when I found myself holding my breath. I also just have to say I’ve got a love hate relationship with that cliffhanger ending! Lol. I’m definitely ready to experience more of this world and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next installment!

4 Stars!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've read a dystopian with paranormal beings. I think that makes it pretty unique as well. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)