Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: True Grit by Charles Portis


Title: True Grit

Author: Charles Portis

Genre: Western

First Published in 1968


"True Grit tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off let me tell you, this book was amazing! If you haven't already read it, I most definitely recommend it! I have to say, I'm kind of ashamed of myself for not reading this book sooner!

I'd seen this book in the bookstores, and heard about the movies made based on it, but for some reason I never did pick it up. I guess it was because I don't usually go for the Western genre. But a good friend of mine read this and highly recommended it, and since we both are very similar in our taste in books and our opinions of them, it was added to my list of books to read. And I'm so glad it was!

I absolutely loved Mattie! She is the narrator of the novel, and recounts the story of everything that happened several years later. She is the strong and spunky heroine, and by no means a normal run of the mill character. Her's is a character that will be remembered, not only by me, but also by anyone else who reads this book.

This is added not only to my list of favorite classics, but also to my list of favorite books period. I think this book would appeal to a lot of people, old and young alike. Even if it's not in your normal reading style, I still say give it a chance. I'm so glad I did, I think this book will be one I'll always remember!

5 Stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments, they make me happy! I read all of them and reply as soon as I can :) Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much to everyone for all of your support!! :)